Our Story

During prohibition on April 1st, 1925 Joseph Pawlicki and his wife Elizabeth opened what would become Berks County’s oldest family owned bar. It was originally called Joe’s Café, but was known to its customers as “Joe Pocketbooks”. With its close proximity to the Reading Railroad (and Joe’s homemade moonshine), the café prospered through prohibition as a social hangout serving root beer and birch beer…with a secret kick.

When Prohibition was Lifted in 1933

Joe had an established business and was doing very well. One night in 1945 after the bar was closed, Joe was drinking with a dentist friend of his. After becoming quite drunk, Joe had his friend pull some rotten teeth. By dawn he made it to bed while Elizabeth opened the bar for the 3rd shift railroad workers. When it was time for Joe to relieve her, she had to go wake him only to find he had bled to death in bed. For the next 11 years, Elizabeth with the help of her only child, Felicia, ran the bar without Joe.

In 1945

The bar was turned over to Felicia’s husband, Jake Wennell, and was renamed Jake’s Bar. In 1976 their only son, Jack Wennell, took over. This is when the name of the bar changed to Jack’s Pub. Only four years later Jack’s oldest son, Jeff, started working at Jack’s Pub. The name of the bar was then switched to “The J’s Pub”.

On October 1st, 1996 Jack retired and on the same day his youngest son, Kyle, started. The name of the bar then returned back to Jack’s Pub because people never stopped calling it “Jack’s”. Jeff and Kyle ran Jack’s Pub together until September 15th, 2011 when Jeff retired.

In 1945

The bar was turned over to Felicia’s husband, Jake Wennell, and was renamed Jake’s Bar. In 1976 their only son, Jack Wennell, took over. This is when the name of the bar changed to Jack’s Pub. Only four years later Jack’s oldest son, Jeff, started working at Jack’s Pub. The name of the bar was then switched to “The J’s Pub”.
On October 1st, 1996 Jack retired and on the same day his youngest son, Kyle, started. The name of the bar then returned back to Jack’s Pub because people never stopped calling it “Jack’s”. Jeff and Kyle ran Jack’s Pub together until September 15th, 2011 when Jeff retired.

Throughout the years

The bar has seen the city of Reading and the name of the bar go through changes, but has become a Reading institution where friends meet, stories are shared, and the fun keeps flowing!

Hours

Weekdays

7:00AM – 2:00AM

Weekends

Sat 7:00AM – 2:00AM
Sun 11:00AM – 2:00AM

Location

Address

1500 N 10th Street
Reading, PA 19604

Phone

(610) 985-0003

© Copyright Jack’s Pub. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by FXV Digital Design.

© Copyright Jack’s Pub. All Rights Reserved. Website Design by FXV Digital Design.